- 2 of the freshest eggs you can find, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup sugar (or even better, 1 cup local honey)
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla
- 3 to 4 cups grated fresh organic zucchini, half green & half yellow (I've used more or less and the breads have turned out just fine)
- 2/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ground flax meal (optional)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped each pecans, dried cranberries & chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add in the grated zucchini and melted butter. Sprinkle in the salt and sift in the flour and baking soda, stir only until mixed.
- Fold in the nuts and dried cranberries and chocolate chips (if using).
- Divide the batter equally between 2 5 by 9 inch loaf pans.
- Sprinkle loaves with brown sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in to the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire racks to cool thoroughly.
- Makes 2 loaves.
Tell your kids it's cake and enjoy!